Following are the 10 largest hedge funds in the world ranked by discretionary assets under management (AUM) according to Pensions & Investments survey.
There are over 9,000 hedge funds in the world according to SEC (U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission) or 8,200 hedge funds according to HFR (Hedge Fund Research, Inc). How many assets are under the management of the hedge fund industry? The answer is $3.6 trillion according to SEC or $3.1 trillion according to HFR.
1. Bridgewater Associates, founded in 1975, is the worlds largest hedge fund firm with $123 billion in hedge fund assets. The companys total assets under management amounted to approximately $160 billion as of May 18, 2018.
2. AQR Capital Managementis the second largest hedge fund in the world with discretionary AUM of $77 billion. The companys total assets under management amounted to $225 billion as of December 31, 2017. The firm is headquartered in Greenwich, Connecticut, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, London, Hong Kong and Sydney.
Founders: Cliff Asness, David Kabiller, Krail, John Liew
3. Man Groupis a British hedge fund manager headquartered in London. It is the worlds largest publicly-traded hedge fund which controls $53 billion in hedge fund assets. The total assets under management amounted to $109 billion as of December 31, 2017.
4. Renaissance Technologiesis an American hedge fund established in 1982. It offers products and services to pooled investment vehicles, financial institutions and corporations. The company has over $50 billion in hedge fund assets under management.
5. Two Sigma Investmentsis a New York-based firm established in 2001. It is one of the biggest quantitative hedge funds with about $50 billion in assets under management. The company has additional offices in Houston, London and Hong Kong.
Founders: David Siegel, John Overdeck, Mark Pickard
6. Millennium Managementis a global hedge fund manager providing discretionary investment advisory services to private funds. As of March 1, 2018, the firm reported assets under management of $36 billion. The company is headquartered in New York with locations in Old Greenwich, Singapore, Hong Kong, Geneva, Tokyo and London.
7. Elliott Management Corp., founded in1977, is a privately owned hedge fund sponsor. It is also the worlds largest activist fund. The firm invests in the public equity, fixed income, and alternative investment markets. The company has approximately $34 billion in hedge fund AUM.
8. The Baupost Groupis a privately owned hedge fund managed by billionaire Seth Klarman. It was established in May 1982 and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. The company has $31 billion in assets under management. Baupost does not manage assets on a non-discretionary basis.
9. BlackRock, established in 1988, is a global investment management firm serving governments, companies, foundations, and individuals in North and Latin America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Australia. The firm has about $28 billion in hedge fund AUM. The total assets under management across fixed income, equity, alternative investment, cash management, real estate and advisory strategies amounted to US$6.3 trillion as of January 2018.
Founder, Chairman and CEO: Laurence Douglas Fink (Larry Fink)
Total annual compensation: $25.5 million (2016 FY)
10. Winton Groupis the 10th largest hedge fund in the world based on $27 billion of assets under management. Winton is a British hedge fund firm launched in 1997 and is headquartered in London. It also has office in Oxford and international branches in New York, San Francisco, Zurich, Sydney, Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong.
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only.